- Biceps strength
The standing alternating curl is a bodybuilding staple. You can use more weight than the seated variation because you can cheat by using your body to help swing the weight up. You can use the standing alternating curl to develop mass and strength. For a great arm pump use lighter weight and perform more repetitions. For strength development, use heavier dumbbells even though you won’t be able to perform as many reps. Using dumbbells allows you to use both elbow flexion and supination.
- Standing with your body stabilized, hold the dumbbells down at your sides, palms forward.
- Keep your chest up and your elbows braced at your sides at all time.
- Starting with one arm, bend the elbow and pull the dumbbell up to the shoulder, and then lower it.
- Repeat with the other side.
- Letting the elbows move forward instead of keeping them back against the torso
- Leaning back excessively
- Swinging the body