- Hips & Buttocks
- Glute strength (emphasis: gluteus medius)
The hip abduction exercise performed with a resistance band around the ankle develops strength around the glute muscles. You will feel the exercise “burn” deep inside the hip muscles. The exercise can be performed with or without the resistance band. Adding the band places more demand on the muscles and triggers more strength development. Perform this exercise after back squats or lunges for complete lower-body development.
- Secure one end of the band and attach the other to one ankle.
- Lie on your side with the resisted leg on top.
- Raise the resisted leg as high as you can without hiking your hip or moving your torso.
- Return the leg to the starting position.
- Hiking the top hip