- Latissimus dorsi (“wing” muscle) strength
The band shoulder adduction is used to strengthen the chest and lats. You can perform this exercise at home or at the gym with an elastic band or cable machine. This exercise is often performed to strengthen the shoulders and to regain mobility after surgery. As you progress on this exercise, select an elastic band with a high degree of tension for more resistance and added difficulty.
- Secure one end of the band and hold the other end in one hand while standing.
- Stand sideway, with the resisted hand on the same side to the Band’s attachment point.
- With your arm kept straight, start with the hand about 45 degrees from your body (the band should be taut).
- Pull the arm into your body, and then return to the start position.
- Hunching forward
- Leaning back
- Torso bending to the side