- External rotator muscles of the shoulders
External rotation performed with the resistance band is a great rotator cuff exercise. Years of bench pressing and heavy weightlifting may lead to an imbalance of strength between the prime movers and stabilizers of the shoulders. Performing external rotation will help correct imbalances and keep your rotator cuff muscles healthy and strong. You can perform this exercise after an upper-body workout. Use an elastic band or cable machine.
- Secure one end of the band and hold the other end in one hand while standing.
- Stand sideway, with the resisted hand opposite to the band’s attachment point.
- With your elbow bent to 90 degrees, start with the hand close into the body.
- Rotate your arm so that the hand moves away from the body, and then return to the start position.
- Twisting the body