- Deltoid strength (emphasis: front head)
The band shoulder flexion performed with a partial range-of-motion develops strength in the front deltoid. If an elastic band is not available you may use a cable machine or ask a training partner to manually apply resistance to your forearm as you raise your arm up. Pause at the top of the exercise to get peak-contraction of the shoulder. Perform the shoulder flexion exercise at the end of your workout or before moving to your abdominal exercises.
- Secure one end of the band and hold the other end in one hand while standing.
- Face away from the band’s attachment point and keep your chest up at all time.
- With the arm straight, lift it out in front to 45 degrees, or about belly-button height.
- Then lower the arm to the start position.
- Hunching forward
- Leaning back
- Torso bending to the side