- Chest strength
- Front deltoid strength
- Triceps strength
Performing the bench press with a restricted range-of-motion (ROM) is recommended for anyone with a pre-existing shoulder issue. Using a limited ROM reduces some of the shearing and compressive forces caused by the bench press. Place a bolster or rolled up towel over the sternum as a guide for the negative (lower) portion of the barbell bench press. This will ensure you do not move the weight past the restricted ROM.
- Lying on a bench, hold the barbell over the chest, arms straight, hands placed slightly outside of shoulder width
- Keep your chest up at all time, and allow the lower back to maintain a natural arch (not excessive).
- Lower the barbell until the elbows are level with your torso.
- Hunching the shoulders forward
- Excessively arching the back
- Hips rising off the bench