- Latissimus dorsi (“wing” muscle) strength
- Rear deltoid strength
- Upper back strength
- Biceps strength
The bent-over row performed with dumbbells strengthens the latissimus dorsi, posterior deltoids, scapular retractors, spinal extensors and hip extensors. The bent-over row with dumbbells is a challenging exercise that transfers well to life demands (real-world fitness). The bent-over row will help you build a strong, great looking back.
- Holding the dumbbells in your hands, bend forward while shifting the hips back.
- Keep your back straight and your chest up at all time.
- With your elbows leading, lift the dumbbells toward your ribcage.
- Return slowly to the starting position.
- Not bent over enough
- Rounding the back
- Cocking the head
- Heaving the body excessively