- Deltoid strength
- Triceps strength
The dumbbell shoulder press builds strength and definition in the shoulders, upper chest and triceps. Performing the dumbbell shoulder press without trunk support activates the core muscles and challenges your body’s muscles to stabilize while pressing overhead. Alternate pressing each arm for variety and to increase the demand on the trunk.
- Seated at the end of a bench, hold the dumbbells in your hands at shoulder level, palms forward.
- Keep your back straight and your chest up at all time.
- Press the dumbbells straight up until your arms are straight and the elbows are in line with your ears.
- Lower the dumbbells back to shoulder level.
- Excessive arching of the back
- Pressing the dumbbells too far in front of the head, instead of directly overhead