- Latissimus dorsi (“Wing” muscles) strength
- Biceps strength
Lat pulldowns build strength and definition in the upper back “lat” muscles. Lat pulldowns are an appropriate substitute for beginners who can’t perform pull-ups or chin-ups. The wide grip lat pulldown activates the latissimus dorsi muscle which provides the sought after “V” taper bodybuilders desire most.
- Start with your hands on the bar slightly wider than shoulder-width, arms straight and palms facing forward.
- Pull the bar straight down under your chin, toward the top of your chest.
- Keep your chest up and your elbows out to the side.
- Return slowly to the top, with your arms straight again.
- Pulling the elbows too far behind the body instead of straight back and down
- Dropping the chest down
- Leaning back excessively
- Shrugging the shoulders up as you pull down