- Hips & Buttocks
- Strengthens legs and hips.
- Develops and strengthens basic motor patterns.
- Increases inner thigh flexibility.
Lateral lunges strengthen and define the glutes (butt) and hamstrings. Alternating legs develops and strengthens basic motor patterns. Lateral lunges are a bodyweight exercise that can be performed at home or in the gym. Add lateral lunges on your conditioning day or during your lower-body strength workout.
- Stand with your feet at shoulder width, holding your hands relaxed in front of you.
- With one foot, step out to the side about 16 to 20 inches and descend carefully.
- Keep both feet flat while lunging down on the stepping leg.
- Then step back to the start position.
- Repeat with the opposite leg.
- Alternate legs for a specified number of time.
- Not keeping the feet flat on the ground.
- Letting the chest drop.