- Shoulder strength
- Trapezius strength
The lateral raise performed on a machine is a basic exercise for strengthening the shoulder muscles. Beginners should use light weight to ensure proper technique. Keep the shoulders in a stable neutral position during the movement. The lateral raise exercise can also be performed with dumbbells.
- Adjust the seat so that the knees are bent at right angles.
- Straighten the upper body and tense the trunk.
- Place the elbows against the pads, keeping them slightly bent.
- Contract the shoulders and guide the lever arms of the machine outward and upward.
- Pause in the top position.
- Return the lever arms of the machine slowly and symmetrically to the starting position.
- Using too heavy of a weight.
- Allowig the shoulders to move up toward the ears.