- Chest strength
- Front deltoids strength
- Triceps strength
Narrow grip bench press is a great is a compound exercise for the chest, shoulders and triceps. The close grip utilizes the triceps to extend the arms. Bodybuilders use the close grip bench press to add mass to their triceps. If is a bench is unavailable you can perform close grip push ups.
- Lying on a bench, hold the barbell directly over the chest, arms straight and hands placed at shoulder width.
- Keep your chest up at all time, and allow the lower back to maintain a natural arch (not excessive).
- Lower the barbell to the top of the chest.
- Press the bar back up to the top, until your arms are straight.
- Not keeping the chest up
- Over-arching the lower back
- Lifting the hips off the bench
- Pushing the head back against the bench