- Deltoid strength.
- Triceps strength.
The PowerBlock shoulder press performed seated strengthens the anterior shoulders and triceps. This exercise also trains the upper chest, serratus anterior and the trapezius muscles. Your low back should be pressed against the bench, however your upper back can remain off the bench in order to allow the scapula to move move. You may also perform the dumbbell shoulder press without back support to activate the core muscles.
- Seated on a folding bench with its back-rest propped straight up, lean your back against the back-rest.
- Keeping your chest up, hold the dumbbells at shoulder level, palms forward.
- Press the dumbbells straight up until your arms are straight and the elbows are in line with your ears.
- Lower the dumbbells back to shoulder level.
- Excessive arching of the back.
- Pressing the dumbbells too far in front of the head, instead of directly overhead.