- Trapezius strength.
- Deltoid strength.
PowerBlock upright rows strengthen and define the shoulders and traps. The biceps also assist in pulling the dumbbells up. The dumbbell upright row should be performed with a moderate weight and care must be taken to use proper technique. If too heavy of a load is used with improper technique a shoulder injury may occur. A common injury at the shoulder joint is “impingement” in which the bones pinch the tendons in the shoulder rotators.
- Standing, hold the dumbbells in front of your thighs, arms straight and palms facing back.
- Lift the dumbbells straight up by leading up with your elbows.
- Keep the dumbbells close to your body on the way up, and relax your wrists by letting them bend.
- Lower the dumbbells back to the front of your thighs.
- Keeping the wrist stiff instead of relaxed.
- Dumbbells too far away in front of the body.