- Strengthens upper body.
- Strengthens torso and hips.
Pushups with the hands in a stagger position are an advanced exercise for the chest, shoulder, and triceps. By varying your hand placement you change the load on the muscles which leads to additional adaptation. If you’ve been performing regular pushups for a long time and have reached a plateau, try using the stagger position.
- Get into a pushup position.
- Stagger your hands, one toward your feet and the other toward your head.
- Your hands should be slightly wider than shoulder width.
- Lower your body, touching the chest to the ground.
- Push back up to start position.
- Complete a specified number of reps, and then do the same with the opposite stagger position.
- Letting the hips sag.
- Dropping the head.