- Deltoid strength (emphasis: lateral head)
The single arm lateral raise, standing is a great exercise to shape your shoulders. It can be done with a dumbbell if you don’t have access to cables. Since this is more of a shaping exercise it should be done for 8 to 12 repetitions, which is best for hypertrophy. Focus on using your shoulder to do the work and don’t cheat by using your body.
- Standing next to a cable column, hold the cable-handle in the opposite hand.
- Keeping your arm straight, lift the handle to the side, allowing the cable to cross the front of the body.
- Stop at shoulder height and return the handle to the start position.
- Shrugging the shoulders excessively
- Hunching forward
- Leaning back