- Deltoid strength (emphasis: lateral head)
The single-arm dumbbell lateral raise is a good way to shape and define your shoulders. Doing only one side at a time forces the other side to stabilize, thus working your core at the same time. This exercise can also be performed with a cable or resistance band.
- Standing tall, hold a dumbbell in one hand with your arm hanging straight.
- Keeping your arm straight, lift the dumbbell to the side.
- Stop at shoulder height and then return the dumbbell to the start position.
- Shrugging the shoulders excessively
- Hunching forward
- Leaning back
- Torso bending to the side