- Deltoid strength
- Triceps strength
The single arm dumbbell press standing is a good way to strengthen your shoulder and core at the same time. At the same time it gets the whole body to work together; the legs and core support while the shoulder moves the weight. This is a good alternative to the barbell military press. This exercise can also be done with a kettlebell.
- Standing tall, hold the dumbbell in one hand at shoulder level, palm forward.
- Keep your back straight and your chest up at all time.
- Press the dumbbell up until your arm is straight and the elbow is in line with your ear, then return to shoulder level.
- Excessive arching of the back
- Pressing the dumbbells too far in front of the head, instead of directly overhead
- Torso bending to the side