- Chest strength
- Front deltoids strength
- Triceps strength
The smith machine chest press is an excellent exercise for beginners. The smith machine keeps your body in a prescribed movement pattern. Novice exercisers can master the smith machine chest press before moving on to free weights. Advanced weight trainers may use the safety catches to self-spot heavy weight. The chest press builds the chest, shoulders, and triceps.
- Lying on a bench, hold the barbell over the chest, arms straight, hands placed slightly outside of shoulder width.
- Keep your chest up at all time, and allow the lower back to maintain a natural arch (not excessive).
- Lower the barbell to the top of the chest.
- Press the bar back up to the top, until your arms are straight.
- Not keeping the chest up
- Over-arching the lower back
- Lifting the hips off the bench
- Pushing the head back against the bench