- Chest strength
- Front deltoids strength
- Triceps strength
The smith machine decline press targets the lower pectoralis (chest) muscle, shouders, and triceps. The decline bench is typically set between 20 and 40 degrees. A spotter is recommended when performing this exercise.
- Lying on an declined bench, hold the barbell with arms straight, hands placed slightly outside of shoulder width.
- Keep your chest up at all time, and allow the lower back to maintain a natural arch (not excessive).
- Lower the barbell to the top of the chest.
- Press the bar back up to the top, until your arms are straight.
- Not keeping the chest up
- Over-arching the lower back
- Lifting the hips off the bench
- Pushing the head back against the bench