- Chest strength
- Front deltoids strength
- Triceps strength
The smith machine incline chest press works the upper pectorals, shoulders, and triceps. The serratus anterior muscles are also involved in the incline press. The incline bench is typically set between 35 and 45 degrees. The smith machine allows for self-spotting.
- Lying on an inclined bench, hold the barbell with arms straight, hands placed slightly outside of shoulder width.
- Keep your chest up at all time, and allow the lower back to maintain a natural arch (not excessive).
- Lower the barbell to the top of the chest.
- Press the bar back up to the top, until your arms are straight.
- Not keeping the chest up
- Over-arching the lower back
- Lifting the hips off the bench
- Pushing the head back against the bench