- Shoulder strength.
- Triceps strength.
The Standing Barbell Overhead Press strengthens the anterior shoulders, triceps, and upper chest. The standing position requires your core muscles and hips to stabilize your upper-body as you press the weight overhead. This exercise is good for developing strong, well-defined shoulder muscles.
- Standing tall, hold the barbell in your hands at shoulder level.
- Keep your back straight and your chest up at all time.
- Press the barbell straight up until your arms are straight and the elbows are in line with your ears.
- Lower the barbell back to shoulder level.
- Excessive arching of the back.
- Pressing the barbell too far in front of the head, instead of directly overhead.