- Chest strength
- Front deltoids strength
- Triceps strength
The wide grip bench press strengthens the chest, shoulders, and triceps. The wide grip emphasizes the outer chest muscles. The wide grip bench press can be performed on a smith machine for self-spotting.
- Lying on a bench, hold the barbell directly over the chest, arms straight and hands placed wide apart.
- Keep your chest up at all time, and allow the lower back to maintain a natural arch (not excessive).
- Lower the barbell to the top of the chest.
- Press the bar back up to the top, until your arms are straight.
- Not keeping the chest up
- Over-arching the lower back
- Lifting the hips off the bench
- Pushing the head back against the bench