- Latissimus dorsi (“Wing” muscles) strength
Wide grip lat pulldowns strengthen the lats, rhomboids, traps, and biceps. Bodybuilders use this exercise to add thickness and mass to their lats. Use a lighter weight to increase muscular endurance. Squeeze your scapula muscles to achieve peak-contraction.
- Start with your hands near the ends of the bar, arms straight and palms facing forward.
- Pull the bar straight down under your chin, toward the top of your chest.
- Keep your chest up and your elbows out to the side.
- Return slowly to the top, with your arms straight again.
- Pulling the bar down past the upper chest
- Pulling the elbows too far behind the body instead of straight back and down
- Dropping the chest down
- Leaning back excessively
- Shrugging the shoulders up as you pull down