- Latissimus dorsi (“wing” muscle) strength
- Rear deltoid strength
- Upper back strength
- Biceps strength
The bent over row performed on a cable-pulley machine strengthens the latissimus dorsi, posterior deltoids, scapular retractors, spinal extensors and hip extensors. The cable provides additional resistance against the trunk which requires spinal stabilization and core strength. It’s important to keep the knees slightly bent in order to relieve strain on the lower back. Maintain a natural arch in the low back and activate the core while performing the bent over row.
- Standing at a cable column, hold the cable handles in your hands and bend forward while shifting your hips back.
- Keep your back straight and your chest up at all time.
- With your elbows leading, lift the handles toward your ribcage.
- Return slowly to the starting position.
- Rounding the back
- Cocking the head
- Heaving the body excessively