- Latissimus dorsi (“Wing” muscles) strength
- Biceps strength
The pull up is one of the best upper body exercises. It is easiest to do with a pull up bar, but it can be done on almost anything; a tree branch, a beam or even a sturdy door frame. The pull up can be done as a pure strength exercise by adding weight or as a strength endurance exercise by kipping. If you want to join the Marine Corps you better get good at pull ups.
- Start with your hands on the bar slightly wider than shoulder-width, palms facing forward.
- Bending your legs behind you, hang with your arms straight.
- Keeping your chest up at all time, pull yourself up as high as you can.
- Return slowly to the bottom position.
- Jutting the chin forward or up
- Shrugging the shoulders as you pull up