- Latissimus dorsi (“Wing” muscles) strength
- Biceps strength
The reverse grip lat pull down is a good exercise to sculpt your back and strengthen your biceps at the same time. It strengthens the postural muscles of your upper back and is a great exercise for beginners and people who are not able to do pull ups. Another added benefit is that the reverse grip lat pull down also strengthens your grip.
- Start with your hands on the bar at shoulder-width, arms straight and palms facing backwards.
- Pull the bar straight down under your chin, toward the top of your chest.
- Keep your chest up and your elbows out to the side.
- Return slowly to the top, with your arms straight again.
- Pulling the bar down past the upper chest
- Pulling the elbows too far behind the body instead of straight back and down
- Dropping the chest down
- Leaning back excessively
- Shrugging the shoulders up as you pull down