- Stretches Tibialis anterior muscles
The shin stretch targets the tibialis anterior (shin). This muscle often becomes weak and overused. The standing shin stretch will effectively stretch the muscles of the shin. Shin splints are common in runners. The repeated running cycle of pounding and push off results in muscle fatigue and eventually leads to pain in the tibia. The standing shin stretch will help keep the tibialis healthy.
- Stand with one foot pointed down and toes curled in.
- Maintaining your balance, lean forward onto the toes, and gently push the knee forward.
- You should feel a stretch on the front side of your lower leg.
- Repeat stretch on opposite leg.
- Putting too much weight on the front toes