- Latissimus dorsi (“Wing” muscles) strength
- Upper back strength
- Rear deltoid strength
- Biceps strength
The single arm lying row can be performed on a bench or a ball. The movement works your upper back as well as your core. The muscles of your upper back are important for posture, especially for people that sit at a computer all day. An added benefit of all pulling exercises is they also work your grip.
- On a bench, lie on your stomach, face down (you may use a towel to place your forehead on).
- Holding a dumbbell in one hand, pull it straight up to the side.
- Return slowly to the floor.
- Cocking the head up
- Shrugging the shoulders up as you pull the dumbbell
- Bending the wrists as you pull the dumbbell