- Deltoid strength (emphasis: lateral head).
The single-arm PowerBlock lateral raise seated is a good way to shape and define your shoulders. Doing the exercise seated will reduce your ability to cheat on the exercise. Doing only one side at a time forces the other side to stabilize, thus working your core at the same time. This exercise can also be performed with a cable or resistance band.
- Seated at the end of a bench, hold the dumbbell in one hand with your arm hanging straight.
- Keeping your arm straight, lift the dumbbell to the side.
- Stop at shoulder height and then return the dumbbell to the start position.
- Shrugging the shoulders excessively.
- Hunching forward.
- Leaning back excessively.
- Torso bending to the sides.