- Hips & Buttocks
- Tests flexibility in the posterior chain (hamstrings, glutes, lower back)
The sit-and-reach tests flexibility in the posterior chain (hamstrings, glutes, lower back). Lower back flexibility is important because tightness in this area is implicated in lumbar lordosis, forward pelvic tilt and lower back pain. The sit-and-reach test can be used to test large groups with little equipment.
- Sit with both legs straight and feet flat against the surface of the measurement box.
- Overlap one hand over the other and, exhaling and dropping your head, reach forward as far as you can.
- Keep both knees straight throughout the reach.
- Take the best out of three attempts.
- Bending the knees