- Latissimus dorsi (“wing” muscles) strength
- Upper back strength
- Rear deltoid strength
- Biceps strength
The “V” grip (close-grip) seated row is an excellent exercise for building the lats and mid back. The teres major, rhomboids, trapezius, and rear-delts also assist in this exercise. The close-grip places additional emphasis on the biceps and forearms. Squeeze your scapula together for peak-contraction.
- Seated with your legs slightly bent in front of you, hold the V-handle at abdominal level with straight arms.
- Keep your chest up and your trunk stabilized.
- Pull the handle straight back toward your abdomen, keeping the elbows close to your sides.
- Return slowly forward until your arms are straighten again.
- Leaning back excessively
- Shrugging the shoulders up as you pull the handles
- Bending the wrists as you pull the handles