- Abs and Core
- Leg strength
- Glute strength
- Torso strength
The wide stance barbell half squat develops power and strength in the legs. The reduced (partial) range of motion allows for greater loads to be used in training. Therefore, additional fast-twitch muscle fibers are recruited. Fast-twitch muscle fibers increase in size (hypertrophy) and add mass to the legs.
- With the barbell on your upper back, stand with both feet wider than hip width (wide stance).
- Keeping the chest up at all time, lower yourself carefully by bending the hips and knees.
- Keep your weight on both heels as you squat down until the back of your thighs are nearly parallel to the ground.
- Keeping the knees tracking straight at all time, return to the top.
- Rounding the back
- Buckling the knees inward
- Tilting the ankles inward